A week in New England…………

What a week! I’m slowly getting back to normal after an action-packed vacation during which I visited three (!) new states.

We started our trip in Boston, getting in late on Saturday night and heading straight to bed. Our main goal on Sunday was heading to the expo so that my husband could pick up his bib. Holy hell – that place was insane! I was exhausted just walking around for 1.5 hours taking it all in. We then headed down Boylston to check out the finish line before heading to Boston Common and figuring out where the bus pickup spot was located.

Finish line on Sunday.

Finish line on Sunday.

There was a small memorial near the finish line for the victims of the bombing in 2013. Although I’ve seen footage onย  television, it was still a little shocking to realize how close it was to the finish line. So terrifying.

The rest of Sunday was spent relaxing with some friends from SLC who had recently moved to Boston. J got his stuff together and I vaguely remember him leaving a little after 5.30 AM. Of course I went straight back to sleep although I hope I wished him good luck in the race. I managed to get my own 6 mile run in before we headed over to spectate at mile 24. After spending the previous day being surrounded by a ton of runners (most wearing this years purple and orange jacket) I was psyched to get out and get some miles on Marathon Monday.

We walked over to Brookline and knew the elite females should be coming in 20ish minutes. One of my friends has run Boston for the last couple of years (managing to BQ at Boston) and commented about how the crowds were way down.ย  By this time it was chilly but with pretty light rain. The crowd that was watching still managed to make a ton of noise once the wheelchair racers came through. Then we saw the lead cars come through.

The lead women at mile 24.

The lead women at mile 24.

The three leading African runners were blocked by the timing car so for a second we thought that Desi was in the lead.

The three leading African runners were blocked by the timing car so for a second we thought that Desi was in the lead.

Then the men!

Then the men!

Leading man!

Leading man!

Meb. Perfect form.

Meb. Perfect form.

These guys look so good running! The first three women were bunched together and Desi was a little way back but looking super strong (she ran a 9 sec positive split!), with Shalane a couple of minutes back in no-mans land. The men were spaced out a little more. And then Meb came through and got the biggest cheer – and even managed to fist pump as he ran past. What a guy.

Then the rain came down. We were using text updates to keep track of J and could tell he would coming through in a little over an hour. By this time every runner looked pretty miserable. I was pretty miserable – soaking wet and cold – just watching them. It was still pretty amazing to think that all of those runners were gunning for well under 3 hours! J came by in great spirits and we all got high-fives! Next came the hard part. Getting from mile 24 to the finish! The T was crazy busy and I think it took us an hour to get to the family meeting zone. Luckily J had his space blanket and a nearby building was letting runners hang out in the (heated) lobby.

By the time we got downtown it was like the zombie apocalypse. Runners in grey capes shivering from the cold. Originally, I thought that seeing the marathon in person would get me so excited to one day come back and run the race. But in these conditions I was so glad that I was not running. And while I can appreciate the excitement that comes from making it to the starting line, for now I would be happy to run the qualifying time and never make it to Hopkington. I guess maybe the big city marathons just aren’t my thing?

J was surprisingly mobile post marathon (he finished in 3.27) and we made it back to our friends’ apartment pretty easily. Then the search was on for good food and good beer within walking distance (the rain was still crazy at this point), and a night of non-stop chatter before our vacation could begin in earnest.

Mon: 6 miles at 8.48 min/mile pace in Boston

Tues: Rest

Wed: Rest

Thurs: 6.2 miles at 8.44 min/mile pace in Cape Cod

Fri: 2.95 miles at 10.05 min/mile pace in Portsmouth, NH

Sat: 13.1 miles at 8.36 min/mile pace in Portland, ME

Sun: Rest


25 thoughts on “A week in New England…………

  1. Your husband did an awesome job! And I think it’s awesome you got to run in Boston on marathon Monday ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you get to BQ someday even if you don’t run the race!

  2. Congrats on your husband’s awesome race in Boston! OMG visiting the expo on Sunday is INSANE if you go early. This year, we went back late afternoon (I got my bib and bought my jacket on Saturday afternoon) before the pasta party and it was pretty empty – but a lot of the stuff was sold out. Your husband’s morning sounds a lot like mine – I was out by 5:30 and my friends were spectating at mile 24! Where did you guys stay? My aunt lives in Brookline and is walking distance from Coolidge Corner, which is mile 24! I agree with your friend about the crowds – as I was running, sections of the course that are normally packed with spectators were completely empty. It was weird. Still incredible though. I hope you guys enjoyed the experience and your time in New England! Great race review!!

    • We were staying in Jamaica Plain so it was a little bit of a walk but we were standing at Coolidge Corner – I totally forgot the name of where we were at. I guess the lower crowd turnout made it super easy for us to get right to the front and get some pretty decent views of the race. I think visiting the expo earlier would be the best idea – although I did manage to get a free sample of Sam Adams. And New England was such a great place to visit with surprisingly good weather – except for race day obviously.

    • I read your post and figured that we were pretty close to each other! And the T was a nightmare to get back downtown – we had to try a couple of stops before we could get on a train.

  3. Congrats to J! I’m so impressed with everyone who toughed out the cold and rainy conditions for Boston. Will we be reading all about the rest of your trip? I hope you had a blast!

  4. I’m with ya on big city marathons not being my thing. But, I do think if I ever get into Boston that I will run it because it sounds like such an amazing experience. Other than that, give me a race that starts down the street and I’m happy ๐Ÿ™‚ Also. congrats to your husband!

  5. Jane Likes to Run says:

    I’m with you on not liking large races. The TC marathon was large enough for me. Even though it was raining, it sounds like an awesome experience just to be there and see the race. As someone who will probably never qualify, that’s probably as good as it will get for me!

  6. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

    big city marathons aren’t really my thing either. but what an amazing experience it must be to watch Boston live.! that is so awesome. the elite’s must be even faster than on tv.
    I love how your runs were all in different places. what a cool week.!!

    • I was psyched to visit three states in one trip. You know that out west that is pretty hard to do (so much space!). Also I am a little obsessed with running by water. Those elites go so fast and make it look effortless – so inpsiring.

  7. charissarunning says:

    I’ve never had the chance to see those amazing elites run in person! That must be quite the experience ๐Ÿ˜€ Congrats to your husband! It sounds like it was such a hard day – especially after runners were done. Thank god for amazing volunteers and medics!
    I’m glad you had a great week!! Are you officially in taper now or do you have one more long run ahead of you?

    • It was really cool. I actually accidentally spectated at the London marathon a couple of years ago. We were on vacation and visiting the Tower of London just as the elite men were running past. Those guys move so fast. Most of the runners last week looked pretty miserable – I think a lot of people were a little underdressed for the weather. Taper has kind of started. I’m planning on 16 this weekend, 10 the weekend after and then it’s race day. 16 days to go….

    • It was a great experience to witness it in person! He was so happy that the building let them all in – it was so cold. Every runner I saw was shivering like crazy and they had no heated tents to warm them up. I ran my first half marathon in the rain and nearly got hypothermia at the end waiting around in the cold for warm clothes. Not fun.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s