First of all, thank you to everyone who posted such kind, thoughtful and helpful comments on my last post. As if I didn’t know before, but the blogging world rocks. And I am feeling almost back to normal.
So, one of the factors that has been contributing to my down days is another injury. Yes – another new injury to add to the list. I first felt a soreness in on the top of my foot last Monday. Being the optimist (or denialist) that I am, I assumed it would just disappear. So I did my normal recovery run on Monday, a slow 5 miler on Wednesday and a trail run on Thursday. But surprise(!) it did not go away. Ugh!
I rested on Friday and decided to skip out on Saturday too. Instead I spent the morning making carrot cake to celebrate J’s birthday. (Good decision!). We spent the rest of the day biking about 20 miles between some of the local breweries in town. Fun day and no foot pain. Foolishly (in hindsight), I thought I was good to go for my 10 miler on Sunday.
So here are some things I learned after this 10 mile run:
1. Running hungover is never fun. I guess 5 beers in a day is my limit. My ancestors would be ashamed.
2. Running after biking 20ish miles is a bad idea. I am not a triathlete. The last time I biked was 9 months ago.
3. My water bottle sucks. After about a minute it was leaking all over my hand. There is obviously some mysterious (to me at least) hole somewhere because my hand was covered in orange Nuun.
4. Some runs just suck. This was one of them. From the first step I wanted it to be over.
5. My body is stronger than my mind. My brain wanted to quit. My legs – they were good to go.
By the time I finished I was sore and threw myself a little pity party. I also decided that I needed a running hiatus for the next week to see if I could feel normal again. Luckily I can still use the ellipitical. Yay for my least favorite way to work out. Thank God for Yurbuds and podcasts. Time to heal!